This year I’ve vowed to stretch myself. I’ll be honest with you guys. While I absolutely love reading and I do read quite often I often begin too many books (usually several at one time, why do I do this to myself?) and rarely finish all that I start. So this year my hope and desire is to start one book at a time and finish one book at a time. To help myself a little bit I’m also going to try to utilize audio books (which I rarely use besides occasionally in the car for the kids) for myself. I think using audio versions of books will help me incorporate them more throughout my day. I love holding real books in my hands, so I won’t use all audio, but I’m definitely not going to shy away from them. The other week I saw a post from G3 announcing their 2022 Reading Challenge. You can read more about it HERE and see their book recommendations as well. I decided this would be a wonderful place for me to start and hopefully help me stay one track.
HERE ARE THE CATEGORIES
- Complete A Bible Reading Plan
- A Hymnal
- A Christian Biography
- A Book About Culture
- A Puritan Paperback
- A Book About Worship
- A Book About An Inkling
- A Book About Education
- A Novel Written Before 1922
- A Book About Gender & Sexuality
- A Christian Classic
- A Book Of Prayers
MAKING A LIST IS THE EASY PART
Listing what I intend to read is easier than actually reading everything. I shared in the beginning of this post how I’m going to take advantage of audio options when possible. Another way I’m hoping to be more committed is use a few of these options for our daily read alouds. The boys and I usually read several chapter books during the school year together and I think this is a great opportunity to include them in the reading challenge. Ya know, killing two birds with one stone.
THE BOOKS I’VE CHOSEN
These are the titles I’ve chosen from each category.
- Last year I read the Bible Chronologically. I use the ESV Chronological Bible. This year I have decided to just read it through from cover to cover in the order they are already in. My personal goal is to read the whole Bible in 90 days…and also read throughout the year studying through as I am led.
- Hymnal – I am going to use the hymnal our family has, however I really would like to get the Hymnal from Grace Community Church. It’s just not in the budget right now, so I’ll be using what we have.
- A Christian Biography – Through Gates of Splendor by: Elisabeth Elliot. If I can I’m going to try to fit in Bonhoeffer as well. Last year I read The Hiding Place (It’s a must read if you’re looking for a suggestion)
- A Book About Culture – Just Thinking About The State by: Darrell Harrison and Virgil Walker. I actually own this book and started it last year but had like 4 other books going at the time. Highly Recommend Fault Lines y Voddie Baucham and Live Not By Lies by Rod Dreher
- A Puritan Paperback – The Mortification of Sin by John Owen
- A Book About Worship – Worship: The Ultimate Priority by John MacArthur or Worship: The Reason We Were Created by A.W. Tozer
- A Book By An Inkling – We may get through a few of these this year. I’m going to start with The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien as our read aloud for the New Year. I’ve read these before, but never with the kiddos. I also have Till We Have Faces by Lewis, but have never read it and I’ve never read Letters From Father Christmas and may consider that one as well. I think I’m getting ahead of myself. Mere Christianity and Screwtape Letters are a must if you’ve never read them!
- A Book About Education – A Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason
- A Novel Written Before 1922 – Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- A Book About Gender and Sexuality – Love Thy Body by Nancy Pearcy or Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood by John Piper and Wayne Grudem. Let Me Be A Woman by Elisabeth Elliot is a must read!
- A Christian Classic – The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer
- A Book of Prayers – Valley of Vision
I would love to hear if you’re doing this reading challenge as well as the choices you’ve made to read this year!
If you would like my Bible Reading Tracker Printable you can find it HERE in my Etsy Shop
HERE is a free bookmark to keep track of what you’re reading.
Thanks for stopping by today friends! Blessings,